If you’re vegan and miss eggs a scramble is a great thing to make. This recipe is so simple and you probably have all the ingredients in your kitchen already.
I used Sainsbury’s chorizo shroomdogs for this recipe but there are a few other chorizo products on the market you could use. You could also use vegan sausages, tempeh or just veggies. If you’re a celiac or you’re following a gluten-free diet, use chorizo made with soy.
Himalayan black salt tastes just like eggs and works so well in this recipe. I love its eggy taste. If you can’t find it, don’t worry, the scramble will taste amazing with regular salt too.
I added turmeric powder to make it yellow and ‘egg like’, but you can use paprika or saffron instead to get the golden colour.
You can press the tofu before cooking it, but it’s not necessary and the tofu I used works very well for this reason.
Traditional Spanish scramble is made with potatoes as well but I didn’t have any and the recipe is also healthier with veggies instead. I also love the colour the peppers and spinach bring to the recipe.
You can also check out my other recipes here.
Let me know what you think in the comments or tweet me @veganbabelife
Thanks for reading!Print
A delicious Spanish style vegan ‘egg’ scramble
- Heat your frying pan and 1 tbsp of olive oil over a medium heat.
- Dice your onion and add to the pan until browned.
- Slice your chorizo shroomdogs into rounds and add to pan with onions. Let them cook until slightly browned (a few minutes).
- Prepare your tofu by crumbling it into a bowl and adding your spices and oil. Stir to coat evenly and colour the tofu a nice egg like yellow.
- Add your tofu mix to the plan and cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Cut your pepper into small chunks, slice the tomatoes in half and add to the pan also with the spinach.
- Cook everything for a further 5 minutes or so until veggies are soft and tofu slightly golden brown.
- Serve alone, with toast or as part of a full vegan breakfast and enjoy.
Keywords: Tofu scramble, Brunch, Breakfast, Egg free, Vegan