I’ve had trouble sleeping unaided for years. This is a problem that affects a lot of people these days with our modern lifestyles & stressors.
Natural sleep remedies
- Herbal tea– Try a herbal tea containing chamomile or lavender before bedtime. Some brands also do nighttime blends.
- Tart cherry juice – Drink half a cup of this stuff and you may be more likely to be able to get some sleep. It’s a tasty, natural remedy which contains tryptophan, an amino acid that converts into serotonin, and then melatonin.
- Valerian – A very old natural remedy that’s been used for hundreds of years. Valerian is taken from the roots of a plant and according to plenty of studies, it can have a lovely calming effect which makes you feel sleepy.
- Aromatherapy – Soothe your mind with some calming scents such as lavender, jasmine and rosemary. The calmer and more relaxed you are the more likely you are to drift off to sleep.
- Magnesium – This essential mineral helps you feel relaxed when applied to the skin and can help you drift off to sleep. Check out > 7 essential oils to help you sleep better
Sleep products I love
- I love to take nice relaxing baths with candles, salts and essential oils.
- Then I either drink some sleepy time tea while I’m soaking or when I’m getting dry. Pukka’s blend is my favourite but I love chamomile tea as well. Pukka also do some lovely herbal supplements. Valerian has been used for centuries to help people sleep.
- When I get into bed I like to put some lavender essential oil on my pulse points & spray lavender on my pillow. I’m a big fan of the dr organic lavender range.
- Lastly, a great sleep mask is a must! I like black satiny ones as they feel great and keep out the light well. If my blepharitis flares up a heated mask are nice or a cooling one you can pop in the fridge for tired/sore eyes.
Check out Holland & Barrett’s
- The importance of sleep
- Why your diet is stopping you sleeping
- 10 tips for a good night’s sleep
- Destressing for sleep with Madeleine Shaw
Hope you enjoyed reading about my night-time routine to help aid sleep.
Let me know what you think in the comments or me @veganbabelife
Thanks for reading!