I’m coming the end of a horrible cold (they really feel like they drag on don’t they). Being sick is never fun and colds are just really gross and make you feel miserable. The lovely combination of aches, fever, chills, and congestion are enough to make anyone fed up and stir crazy.
There are plenty of home remedies that can help alleviate your symptoms and get you back to normal. I don’t take any cold medicines which are never vegan anyway, don’t help and are some nasty tasting shit (let’s be honest).
Most products that call themselves remedies or cures are total bullshit anyway. Our bodies are amazing things and while all these symptoms are horrid and don’t make you feel great they are its very clever way of healing itself.
- A fever is your body’s way of trying to kill viruses. If you endure a slightly uncomfortable fever for a day or two, you might actually get better quicker.
- Coughing clears your breathing passages of thick mucus that can carry germs to your lungs and the rest of your body.
- Sneezing is your bodies way of expelling things it percieves as threats/irritants.
- Your nose dripping like a tap is gross but your body is just carrying germs out of your body.
Instead let your body do its thing and try some natural remedies and methods to help and make you more comfortable.
*If you still feel sick after a few weeks, make an appointment with your doctor. If you have trouble breathing, have a rapid heartbeat, feel faint, or experience other severe symptoms, get medical help sooner.
My tried and tested methods are:
- Staying Warm Indoors And Get Plenty Of Rest. Stay in bed or have a sofa day with your duvet and hunker down with the remote & plenty of tissues. Take naps and have early nights while you recover. Rest is one of your bodies functions to heal itself quicker and giving yourself time to recover is just as important as the recovery.
- Drink Hot Liquids. I really love the mind & body bundle by Tea+. Vitamins are much needed when you’re ill and trying to fight something off. Green tea contains catechin, stated to have natural antibiotic and anti-diarrhoea effects. They help with fatigue and to cleanse the body. Perfect for when you’re not feeling 100%. I’ve been a fan of these teas for years and they are the perfect pick me up.
- The BRAT Diet (bananas, rice, applesauce & toast) I’ve found I haven’t had the biggest appetite during this cold and my stomach had been upset and I’ve felt nauseated at times. Snacking on crackers, toast and bananas have been easy things that don’t need much preparation but provide nutrition and a substantial meal.
- Eat/Drink Infection Fighting Foods. I like having mixed vegetable soup and drinking juices/smoothies that are full of vitamins and help fight infection. Innocent have great juices if you don’t feel like preparing your own, I like their new plus juice range. The bolt from the blue (apple, guava, coconut water, spirulina & vitamins) and citrus shield (orange, carrot and mandarin, lemon, ginger & vitamins) are my favourites – They’re great for when you’re feeling unwell.
- Blow Your Nose Often And Right. The best way to blow your nose: Press a finger over one nostril while you blow gently to clear the other. When you blow hard, pressure can carry phlegm back into your ear causing earache.
- Use A Menthol Salve. Think vix vapour rub but I use a cruelty-free vegan one that’s all natural and not full of crap. Breathe balm by Silvan Skincare is a gentle clearing balm. It is packed with organic oils, shea butter, peppermint, eucalyptus and rosemary camphor to soothe and clear. Massage your salve gently into temples, chest, back and feet. A little bit under the nose is really good too.
- Sleep With an Extra Pillow Under Your Head. Propping your head up at an angle really helped me be able to breathe better while I slept. Elevating your head is supposed to help relieve congested nasal passages.
- Take Warm Baths. Shower steam is great but baths are great for soothing aches and clearing your sinuses. Baths are a nicer way to relax and inhale the steam. Some Better You Magnesium flakes are a great way to soothe aches and help you sleep.
Remember: serious conditions, such as sinus infections, bronchitis, meningitis and asthma, can look like the common cold. If you have severe symptoms or don’t seem to be getting better, call your doctor.
I hope these things have been helpful and you’re lucky enough to not get colds or flu much like me. But everyone gets sick sometimes and it’s perfectly natural. Knowing how to deal with it and helping yourself at home is usually all that’s needed.
Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Vegan Babe Life on social media to keep up to date with the latest news, recipes and product launches from the vegan community.
Let me know what you think in the comments or tweet me @veganbabelife
Thanks for reading!