This is just a really easy recipe that I make quite often. I’m a big fan of pineapple and using it in savoury dishes. It goes great in rice and on pizza (I will fight you). It’s just a nice easy recipe with few ingredients meaning you can rustle this up midweek when you’re feeling lazy but still want something delicious.
The addition of cashews and coriander really add something extra but I know not everyone is a fan or can have these. I really recommend you add these if you’re open to it as they make the rice 10000x tastier.
You can also check out my other recipes here.
Let me know what you think in the comments or tweet me at @veganbabelife
Thanks for reading!Print
Sweet sticky rice with a kick, great as a main or side
- a handful of fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 red pepper
- 150g of white rice
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar
- 1 tbsp of Maple syrup
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 2 tsp of garlic paste
- 1 tsp of Sriracha
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp of Coconut oil
- 3 spring onions
- a handful of cashew nuts
- a handful of coriander
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- Heat a large saucepan on high with 1 tbsp of the oil.
- Add the pineapple & red pepper, stirring frequently & cook for 5 mins.
- In the meantime cook the rice separately on the hob/stove/microwave. However, you like.
- Add the sugar & syrup to the frying pan and stir. Cook until it starts to brown and become caramelized. (Around 5 mins.)
- Add the garlic & onions and cook for further 30 seconds. Lower the heat to medium.
- Put the cooked pineapple mixture in a bowl to the side for adding later.
- Add the rest of the oil and the cashews, stir briefly.
- Add the rice and give it a good stir.
- Add the pineapple mixture, juice, soy sauce, sriracha & salt, and peppe. Cook until it?s sticky and the liquid is absorbed.
- Serve and top with coriander as garnish. Enjoy!
Tinned pineapple & any oil is fine but I think these ingredients work really well.
Keywords: fried rice, dinner, pineapple, vegan, meat free