I made this recipe when I didn’t have much in the house and was trying to decide what to have for dinner. I’ve been experimenting with lentils a lot lately so thought I could make a pie. I didn’t have any potatoes or pastry in the house and was trying to think what I could use to top it with. I had a can of pumpkin that I planned to make a sweet pie with and thought that’s basically like sweet potato right.. so it could work. And it did! I love pumpkin and I’m so happy I’ve found another amazing way to use it.
This is really easy to whip up as you can use canned lentils, pumpkin and microwave quinoa. Or you can cook both of those up if that’s all you have and you don’t mind the extra time it’ll take.
The bottom layer is hearty and meant to replicate the filling and meaty nature that cottage pie usually has. A?mix of lentils, quinoa & carrots with a garlic, maple, pumpkin mash topping. Pumpkin is really good for you and is less heavy than potato mash so it’s a good healthy switch. I do still love me some good proper potato mash though.
The pie comes together really easily with the canned ingredients mixed with herbs and spices for a really flavourful comfort dish. Serve with veggies for an even healthier, more complete meal.
You can also check out my other recipes here.
Let me know what you think in the comments or tweet me @veganbabelife
Thanks for reading!Print
A hearty pie with meat alternatives topped with pumpkin mash. An easy midweek meal.
- 1 tbsp of oil olive/vegetable
- 1/2 a pouch of microwave quinoa
- 1 cube of veg stock dissolved. (Usually 500ml of water to 1 cube)
- 1 tsp of chilli powder
- 2 tsp of mixed herbs
- 2 cans of lentils (drained and rinsed)
- 1 tbsp of gravy granules
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 carrots
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 can of pumpkin puree
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp of maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 3 tbsp of vegan butter
- Preheat the oven to 220c (425F).
- In a large pan, heat the oil over a medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, and garlic and saut? until the onions begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, quinoa, veg stock and all the spices. Heat through until liquid is reduced and the mixture is thick.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and saut? for a minute until soft.
- Add the pumpkin, maple syrup and salt. Stir and heat through.
- Put the lentil mix in an oven-safe dish and spread the pumpkin mash on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the pie is heated through. Top with pumpkin seeds (optional)
*You can make the pie ahead of time and just heat through in the oven/microwave later on. You could also make 2 and freeze one.
Keywords: PIe, pumpkin, cottage pie, winter, autumn, october, comfort food, meal prep