I’ve had a thing with scones lately. I usually make plain ones and have them with nice jams but I had some blueberries to use up and thought they would be great in scones. I love the flavour combo of lemon & blueberry and also blueberry and coconut so I like that these get to have all three ingredients.
These are so lovely that I eat them alone but would be lovely with blueberry preserve and coconut cream. They’re really easy to make and don’t take a lot of time or ingredients. I just used what I had in the cupboards. So if you need to whip something up for a bake sale, afternoon tea etc then these are great when you’re in a pinch.
You can also check out my other recipes here.
Let me know what you think in the comments or tweet me @veganbabelife
Thanks for reading!Print
Beautiful summery scones perfect for afternoon tea
- 255g of plain flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 1 tbsp of baking powder
- 2 tsp of caster sugar
- 1 tsp of salt
- 55g of coconut oil
- 1 1/2 small punnets of blueberries (about 150g)
- 1 lemon (zest)
- 1 tsp of lemon extract
- 225g of canned coconut milk
- 1 tbsp of preserving sugar (optional)
- 125g of icing sugar
- 2 lemons (juice & zest)
- 1 tsp of dairy free butter/spread
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and coconut oil in a bowl and mix in a food processor or with your hands until a meal like consistency.
- Mix in blueberries and lemon zest.
- Stir in coconut milk to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured sheet of baking paper, flatten into a round, and put in the fridge for about 15 minutes to firm up and make it easier to slice.
- Cut chilled dough into 6 wedges. Sprinkle with preserving turbinado sugar and place on a baking paper lined tray.
- Preheat oven to 200?C/400f.
- Bake on the bottom oven shelf for about 25 minutes, until golden.
- Allow to cool before drizzling on Icing glaze
- Add all icing ingredients to heatproof bowl/jug/dish and stir.
- Then microwave for about 45 seconds and stir again.
- If the mixture is too watery add more icing sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes then drizzle on top of scones.
- Enjoy the scones alone or with cream and jam.
I used Coconut Merchant canned coconut milk and coconut oil.
Keywords: scones, afternoon tea, baking, sweet, easy