Disclaimer: This post features some gifted items. I would NEVER recommend something I didn’t love and use myself. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
I’ve really got into seafood recipes at the moment as it was something I ate more of than meat before I was vegan. I was a big tuna and salmon fan. Crab and chilli linguine was one of my favourite meals that’s a little fancy but easy to throw together. So I thought I would veganize it.
I made this recipe in collaboration with Jack And Chill who make my favourite jackfruit products.
It’s easier than ever to go vegan or have meat-free days, so whether you’re vegan or not and trying this recipe I think you’ll enjoy it.
What Is Jackfruit?
Jackfruit is an exotic fruit native to South India. It’s part of the Moraceae plant family, which also includes fig, mulberry and breadfruit.
Jackfruit has a spiky outer skin, is green/yellow in colour and is unusually large in size and can be up to 3 ft long. It’s the largest tree-borne fruit in the world and can reach up to 35 kg.
Health Benefits Of Jackfruit
Jackfruit has an impressive nutrition profile. It contains some of almost every vitamin and mineral you need, is high in fibre, low in fat & zero cholesterol.
It provides more than 3 grams of protein per cup, compared to apples & mangoes. Jackfruit is also rich in several types of antioxidants, which are likely responsible for the majority of its health benefits.
- Improves Immunity
- Replenishes Energy
- Ensures better heart health & regulated Blood Pressure
- Improves Digestion
- Prevents Cancer
- Enhances Vision
- Prevents Ageing
- Strengthens Bones
- Improves Blood Quality
- Prevents/Controls Asthma
- Ensures a High Functioning Thyroid
- Treats skin diseases, Fever
I made this recipe in collaboration with Jack And Chill who make my favourite jackfruit products. I used their amazing frozen young jackfruit for this one. It’s the meatiest product I’ve found on the market and I love that you can use how much you want and put the rest back in the freezer.
Go check out the products and see if a store near you sells them because they really are great.
*I received free product but this in no way biases my opinion of the brand. This is an honest review, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
You can check out my other recipes here.
Let me know what you think in the comments or tweet me @veganbabelife
Thanks for reading!Print
A simple pasta dish with jackfruit crab that’s fresh and full of flavour. Make for a delicious midweek meal or dinner party.
- 200g of Linguine
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 a fresh red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 100g Jack & Chill frozen jackfruit
- 1 tsp of Nori sprinkle
- 2 tbsp pasta water
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 12g (1/2 a pack) of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Weigh out the ammount of jackfruit needed then leave to thaw. This shouldn’t take too long. (Try 30 minutes and see if it needs more time after that)
- When the jackfruit is thawed add to food processor or blended to shred more. It took seconds in my viatmix on a low setting. You dont want it to turn into a paste, it only need a quick pulse.
- Add the jackfruit to a bowl with the nori to make your ‘crab’ and set aside.
- Cook the linguine according to the pack instructions, then drain and cover, reserving a little of the cooking water.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the olive oil, followed by the garlic and chilli, and fry gently for 2 minutes.
- Add the Jackfruit ‘crab meat’, stir well to combine and heat through. Once heated, fold through the lemon juice.
- Add the cooked linguine to the ‘crab’ with 2 tbsp of the reserved pasta water Add the parsley and toss through until the pasta is evenly coated.
- Divide between bowls and serve.
Keywords: Jackfruit, Pasta