Today marks 6 years that I’ve been clean and sober, to say I’m emotional is an understatement. Mostly happy feelings of gratitude rather than sadness though.
I’ve learnt a lot in the past 6 years, mostly about life and about myself. Just over half a decade of crippling self doubt, a lot of tears, wanting to end it all and strength I didn’t know I had.
Here are 6 things it helped me learn along the way…
- No matter how all-consuming it all is, that feeling won’t last forever – I promise you. Sometimes situations are so overwhelming and you feel like you’re suffocating under the weight of it all but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. You do eventually come through the bad shit and move past it. *And To say that it’s not a VERY emotional process to get sober and stay sober is bullshit.
- You are a better version of yourself without the alcohol. I am so wide awake and so self-aware now, it’s an incredible feeling. It will change you, there’s no doubt about that but it will be for the better. You will be present for perhaps the first time in your life and working on bettering yourself every single day.
- Following what makes you happy is so fucking important. Dedicate more time and energy to the things that you’re passionate about because those are the things that make life worth living. Having something that is soul deep passion will fuel your recovery and keep your mind focused in a healthy way.
- The easiest way to work through emotions is to write them down. I find it hard to gain order over the chaos that is the inner workings of my brain. Hello, 3am cravings for booze and self-deprecation. But writing things down helps me sort through those messy emotions and gives me a kind of peace, you shouldn’t bottle that shit up. Whether you share those words or not with the rest of the world is entirely up to you and also not the point. I share some, some I just keep for me and some I burn and let go.
- You will probably lose friends… but it’s ok because you’ll make new ones :). Friendships that revolved around that life and the person you were when you drank will no doubt peter off. Even people you’ve known for a long time and thought you’d be friends with forever can surprise you. You need to accept the things you can’t change and be ok with that. At the time it may feel really shitty but you’re just making room for the next people who will come into your life and make it awesome.
- We don’t have all the answers and know what the universe has in store for us. Trust in yourself and know that there are amazing things coming your way that are greater than anything at the bottom of a bottle. Know that.
I dedicate this post to all the people who have just started their journey
Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Vegan Babe Life on social media to keep up to date with the latest news, recipes and product launches from the vegan community.
Let me know what you think in the comments or tweet me @veganbabelife
Thanks for reading!